Welcome!

First time on this blog? Beijing Traffic Lesson: Left Turn is probably a good place to start.

Friday, June 8, 2007

Today's Lunch With My Boss: A Picture Story













True story. It was like I had bravely jumped on a Kung Pao grenade.

IN OTHER NEWS

SO... YOU LIKE CHINA, THEN:
The CEO of my immediate employer (as opposed to the various levels of holding companies, parent companies, grandparent companies etc.) is in Beijing at the moment. Today he gave a speech to my Beijing counterparts, and as work is a little slow right now, I sat in.

Some highlights: "Greater China is the key strategic focus of [the company]. And Beijing is the key to China." "We're 1000% focused on you." "Every day in New York, we know what's going on in Beijing."

Now, I believe in it's customary to play to your crowd (Lead Singer: "Nobody rocks harder than Des Moines!" Des Moines crowd: "WHOOOOOOOO!!!"), but I have to say, I've never heard anything quite like that directed at Minneapolis. Apparently they hold our lack of 10,000% year-over-year growth against us.

MYSTERY SOLVED... KINDA:
I made a comment to my German acquaintance about the carpet-of-the-day in the building elevators.

"Yes," he said. "That's how they prove they change them every day."

Ah.

So I can't trust the date on the chicken at the supermarket, but I KNOW there's a fresh rug in the elevator. Thank God.